Menu

Our History

Our History

Canterbury Baptist Church was formed in 1823 and was known by the place in which it was situated, ‘The Round House’ in King Street. In 1864 it relocated to the present-day premises in St George’s Place, with the halls being added in 1915.

A Chapel at Tyler Hill was opened in 1885 and the Gammon family were the prime movers in securing this place of worship.  CBC initiated the building of a Church at Aylesham, which was opened in 1928 and the two Churches still have strong links, most recently with Laura Moncaster the previous Minister in Training at CBC now becoming the Senior Minister at Aylesham.

Page0001

View of church circa 1900 before the side hall and right hand tower were built

Hospitality has always been offered at CBC (something we’re still proud of today!) and this was especially so in the World Wars when care was given to members of the forces. In the late 1940s, Phyllis Hooker was the first woman to be elected to the office of deacon, now women and men serve equally in many spheres.

The history of the Church includes sending missionaries to China and Africa, particularly the Congo. Canterbury Baptist Church presently has strong links with Brazil and Uganda. Many of our members have been involved in short term missionary service in a variety of ways.

The Church has known times of large congregations, but in the early 1990s the fellowship faced a declining membership, particularly as young people moved away to study and work. Today however Canterbury Baptist Church has a growing, vibrant congregation, as students and young adults, having been cared for during their time in Canterbury and become involved in the worship, have stayed to obtain jobs in Canterbury and take on responsibilities in the life of the Church.

Page0005

Canterbury Baptist Church circa 1920.

At the turn of the millennium the church, under the new leadership of Dave Stedman, felt it important to commit to improving the buildings at St.George’s Place.  This project over the decade took on many different shapes and forms until in 2011 the decision was made to completely refurbish St.George’s Place and turn the Church Hall into a community hub.  To facilitate the work Tyler Hill Chapel, which had seen its attendance decline to a mere few, was sold, as was a second property in Long Meadow Way.  The sale of these properties allowed for a £1million refurbishment of the premises to take place.

2014-02-09 13.27.50

Rev Dave Stedman at the reopening celebration following the redevelopment project, January 2014

There is now disabled access to the premises which there had not been before.  The Church now has very comfortable seating, and state of the art audio/visual technology.  The worship level and basement level of the main church have now become multi-purpose spaces, and CBC have been very keen to make these available to be let by other church’s and local charities.  By becoming a more modern and practical facility, CBC has had greater opportunity to reach out to the community like never before, and we stand at the beginning of a new phase in God’s mission for Canterbury Baptist Church.