“. . .their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity” (2 Corinthians 8:2)
The church at Antioch sent money to the churches in Judea when they heard of the approaching famine. They were generous to those in financial need, but also discriminating, sending money where the need was, and they acted securely, using Barnabas and Saul as couriers.
The Antioch church was also generous in sending Barnabas and Saul on mission, and showed generosity in spirit in telling the good news about Jesus Christ to Greeks as well as Jews.
Why should we be generous?
– Other Christians are being generous
– “Whoever sows generously will also reap generously” (2 Corinthians 9:6) – but the reaping is a harvest of grace, not of money
– Jesus lived and died for us
– God has generously poured out his riches on us
What should we give?
– Money – we should move from not giving to contributing, and from contributing to giving generously
– Time – there are many opportunities to serve. The main qualification is a willing heart
– Gifts and talents
How should we give?
– Proportionately to our income
If you would like more information on how to give financially at CBC, please see our relevant flyer in the foyer and landing or speak with either Staff or Trustees of the church.