We have an exciting job opportunity here at CBC. Please have a look at the information below, with links to documentation and how to apply:
We are looking to employ a Hub Developer who will have a strategic role, working closely with the Minister and Hub Manager to develop our vision for a community-transforming Hub delivered from our church buildings.
This will involve administrative support for current projects, including any necessary paperwork and grant applications. As well as the investigation and setting up of new projects as and when they arise.
This post will also feature financial support to the church more broadly, working closely with our Church Treasurer.
The post holder will play a key role in enabling the church to fulfil its values and vision. It is therefore a vocational requirement for the post holder to be a practising Christian willing to be in full membership of CBC and in complete sympathy with the church’s ethos and values.
The main place of work will be the CBC offices, but some off site meetings will be required.
The responsibilities of the role include:
Community Hub development:
- Lead the delivery and development of a Community Hub project as directed by the Minister, located in the Baptist Halls and serving the community with distinctively Christian service in partnership with other organisations. Putting to action the lessons learned from our ROC Conversation in 2018
- Develop relationships with current lets, to make the most of missional opportunities and provide administrative support where necessary
- Research and prepare funding applications as required for the continuation of current and new projects
- Prepare papers as required for current and new projects as they arise, including planning applications (for examples)
- Attend meetings and network with outside agencies where necessary and agreed with the Line Manager
- Assist the Hub Manager in taking bookings, showing potential lets around and helping to set up and take down rooms when needed
- Establish and manage a team of volunteers to support the delivery and development of the Hub
- Welcome and direct visitors to the Hub, with visible presence at the front desk
- Answer the telephone, respond to general email and website enquiries
- Communicate well with the Hub Manager to avoid overlap and confusion
- Lead fundraising plans and activities for the repayment of our Project Fund
- Offer administrative support to the Local Co-ordinator for delivery of ROC Canterbury
- Support the Church Treasurer by coordinating the counting of the offering, managing petty cash and banking as required
- Assist the Church Treasurer and Hub Manager in undertaking finance tasks such as preparing invoices for church lets and chasing payments, paying bills, entering income and expenditure information onto the church electronic finance system and banking
- Oversee and manage the church payroll (the church employs 7 people), including PAYE and pension schemes
- Produce annual budget in liaison with the Church Treasurer and monthly statements for use in Church Leadership and Members meetings
A successful candidate will:
- Have a sense of call and commitment to serve the church and to mission in the local community
- Be supportive of the vision and values of the church with an understanding of the faith-based rationale driving the church’s development of a community hub
- Be a team player who is able to work under instruction and take personal initiative as required
- Have strong inter-personal skills and a positive demeanour
- Be a good communicator comfortable welcoming a wide cross section of people
- Have experience of working within the local community and with different agencies
- Have skills in producing written materials to a high standard, such as publicity materials and fund raising applications
- Have administrative skills including familiarity with computer based applications such as Google Calendar, Microsoft Office and Excel
- Have experience of management, working with staff and volunteers, a team builder
- Have physical ability to move furniture and prepare rooms as required
- Have experience of policy making, legal and charitable documentation and standards
- Have strong organisational skills
- Be reliable and dependable
- Have a high view of team
- Have understanding of financial procedures relevant to a busy charity including payroll and accounting
- Have knowledge of HMRC payroll and tax systems, pension regulations and accounting packages (we use Xero)
- Have knowledge of the local area, the work of other charities and organisations in the city and more widely, and knowledge of potential funding sources
- Have an ability to undertake project work including participation in meetings, independent research, using the telephone and email to make and develop contacts, producing written reports and applications
The post holder will work closely with the Minister, Hub Manager and Church Treasurer, accountable to the Charity Trustees.
Hours: 15 hours per week (across 2 days, ideally Tuesday and Thursday, but negotiable)
Salary: £9,040 per annum
Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract: Permanent (with a 3 month probation period)
Closing date for applications: Thursday 2nd January 2020
Interviews will take place in Canterbury on: Wednesday 8th January 2020 (with times to be confirmed)
To download a copy of the job description, click here: CBC Hub Developer Job Description
To apply please send a letter of application setting out how you meet the requirements the post, together with an up-to-date CV to Rev Andrew Fitzgerald, at the email address: [email protected]
Please also address any questions to Andrew at the above email address.